Fireplaces can provide warmth, comfort and ambiance to a house. However, wood-burning fireplaces can also be a hassle, as they require wood and kindling, and can leave a mess behind. Instead, you can enjoy the same advantages -- without the mess -- with a gas log fireplace. Call Walker Plumbing, Heating & Air to learn about our gas log fireplace installation and repair services. We provide same-day appointments in St. George, UT!
Is your indoor air quality suffering? Learn about our air cleaners and filtration services.
Benefits of Gas Log Fireplaces over Wood Fireplaces
Fireplaces can quickly make a room feel warm and cozy, and can also help warm your home to help your heating system. While you can get these benefits with gas or wood-burning fireplaces, there are certain advantages to gas log fireplaces:
- They provide even heat quickly with the push of a switch or the touch of a remote.
- They don’t require supplies like matches, tinder, kindling and wood. Buying these over time can be costly, and it can require work to ensure the wood is kept dry and free of insects and other critters.
- They are safer, as stray embers provided by wood fireplaces can spark a fire.
How Gas Log Fireplaces Are Installed
Adding a gas log fireplace can be efficiently done by a professional. Some steps you can expect him or her to take to install the unit can include:
- Install gas lines and hookups and secure the intakes.
- Add the burner and arrange the logs.
- Add sand and rocks as needed to evenly distribute heat.
- If you want, you can have them add glowing embers to give the fireplace a more authentic look.
- If you are converting a wood fireplace to a gas one, the professional can make sure the unit is rated for use with vented logs.
- If you don’t have an existing wood fireplace and don’t have a chimney -- don’t worry. Gas fireplaces don’t require a chimney so one will not need to be installed.
Is your heater on borrowed time before it completely malfunctions? Ask us about our heater installation services.
How to Keep a Gas Log Fireplace Properly Maintained
To keep your gas log fireplace running in good condition, it’s important to keep it properly maintained. Use these tips to keep yours functioning as expected:
- Get a yearly inspection by a professional to ensure the unit is functioning properly.
- Have the system inspected for gas leaks and other potential fire hazards.
- Gently wipe down the gas logs.
- Clean the wire connections.
- Clean the glass door regularly.
- Have the gasket checked to make sure it’s not cracked or missing pieces.
- Check the outside vent for any debris or buildup.