Why Change the Air Filter?
Every home with an HVAC system has an air filter in the unit. While the HVAC itself ensures a cool home, the filter helps keep the air inside clean and breathable. Air filters are only meant to be single-use and eventually need to be changed to have the best possible air inside the home.
How To Tell When It's Time To Change the Filter
While most filters have a specific or recommended lifespan, it's good to change them if they show the following signs:
- The air smells slightly musty and isn't as fresh as normal
- People find themselves getting sick more often
- The filter clogs more often
- People find that their allergies pop up more frequently when they didn't struggle with them as much before
- Energy bills unexplainably increase
- The HVAC is unable to cool or heat the house as quickly as normal
If homeowners notice any of these things, it could point to an HVAC unit working a lot harder than necessary because of a clogged filter.
The Pros of Routine HVAC Filter Replacement
HVAC air filters only last for a certain amount of time before they need replacement. If they're changed regularly, homeowners can expect numerous benefits including:
- Better energy efficiency: When the HVAC unit doesn't have to work as hard to push air through the unit, energy bills will go down, and the unit will run much more efficiently.
- Extend the life of the unit: If the HVAC unit can work at optimal conditions, it won't have to strain to cool or heat the house. This will ensure that it runs well for as long as possible.
- Fewer repairs: When the unit runs in optimal conditions, homeowners find that they need fewer repairs due to an overworked unit.
- Temperature control: The unit won't need to run extra hard or extra long to cool or heat the home. Homeowners will find that their house heats up and cools down faster with a changed filter than with a clogged one.
- Improved indoor air quality: Clean air filters lead to cleaner air in the home, which in turn leads to better health for the household and even better sleep.
How Often Should Filters Get Replaced?
HVAC filters are single-use and need to be regularly replaced. Most filters specify on the package how many days they are good for before they should be changed. The frequency also depends on how much the HVAC gets used.
Those who live in a home with multiple adults and one dog or cat should plan on changing a filter every sixty days. If they have more than one pet, they should increase the frequency to every twenty to forty-five days. If they have no pets, a single occupant, or they're looking at a vacation home, it can extend the time needed before a filter replacement to about every six to twelve months.
Expert, Trusted Heating and AC Technicians
Walker Plumbing, Heating & AC Services has been servicing the St. George, UT area with expert air filter replacement services for over twenty years. They provide a wide range of services, from air conditioning repair and furnace maintenance to slab leak and drain cleaning services. Customers are guaranteed technicians who are licensed and trained, as well as a 100% satisfaction guarantee.